Sunday, June 26, 2011

Blueberry Ice Cream

Well, ya'll, we've been on a bit of a break. We've used this time to try out new recipes for friends and family. We've been out and about discovering new treasures at local restaurants. And, of course, we've been using this time to try our hand at recreating Nanny's gumbo.

Of course, we can't keep these things all to ourselves so it's time to start sharing the love. It seems appropriate that we kick off a new set of recipes on the same week that I received okra in my produce box.  Like Mama's first recipe cards said: Kissing Wears Out - Cookin' Don't.

I set aside the okra and turned my attention to that much-talked-about superfruit: blueberries. It's been unbearably hot these past few weeks. It's only June and the heat index has been over 100 on occasion and to beat the heat, I've been focusing on homemade ice cream! I even had a dish of it for breakfast last Saturday after a long bike ride out in the country. I found an easy recipe that doesn't require the careful creaming of custard at Epicurious.com. Your family will love this purpleish dish:




  • 2 cups picked-over blueberries
  • 3/4 cup sugar
     
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
     
  • 1 cup milk
     
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream

In a saucepan bring blueberries, sugar, and salt to a boil over moderate heat, mashing berries and stirring with a fork. 

Simmer mixture, stirring frequently, for five minutes and cool slightly. 

In a blender purée mixture with milk just until smooth and stir in cream. Pour purée through a sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids with back of a spoon. 

Chill mixture, covered, at least 2 hours and up to one day, or until cold.

Freeze mixture in an ice-cream maker. Transfer ice cream to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden. Ice cream may be made 1 week ahead.

My notes:  Most times I skip straining the blueberry mixture. I think it adds to the homemade goodness to have tiny bits of fruit in the mix. Also, because this is not a custard-based cream, I encourage you to use whole milk. Finally, on my last batch, I used one cup of sugar and it was divine!